|Overview Picture Gallery
The Principality's government Web site, www.sealandgov.org, contains up-to-date information and contact details. Further information may be obtained from:
- Sealand is located in the southern part of the North Sea some six miles off the coast of Britain and from sixty-five to one hundred miles from the coasts of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany; Latitude 51.53 N, Longitude 01.28 E (see map).
- Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in what had been international waters. Principal and Sovereign: Roy of Sealand.
- The Law of Sealand is based on British Common Law and British Law of Contract.
- Passports and stamps have been in circulation since 1969.
- The Sealand flag is red, white and black.
- The official language of Sealand is English.
- One Sealand Dollar = one US Dollar
- Within a radius of five hundred miles of Sealand live more than two hundred million people who enjoy some of the highest living standards in the world. This area also encompasses the financial and industrial heart of Europe.
- The Principality of Sealand is unique. There is nothing in the world like it and it is certain that there never will be again. The potential of the whole enterprise is enormous.
- SEALAND STATE CORPORATION was formed some years ago under a Charter that gave the Corporation total authority under its Board of elected Senators to administer and to govern the island. It was established before the Principality extended its territorial limits to 12 miles and during that time:
- The Corporation passed all the Laws and statutes and owned the land and resources of Sealand.
- The Corporation assisted in the development of all Sealand potential and assets in such manner as it decided.
- Within the territory of Sealand and the three miles of territorial waters bounding the island, the Corporation ensured that Sealand law was absolute and Sealand was accountable to nobody for the enforcement of its laws within this area.
- Sealand was declared a Free Trade zone and no Customs duties or Gaming restrictions were to be imposed.
- Further development of the Principality gave rise to the publication of a formal Constitution which established its own government and structure. This Constitution was signed into force in the late 1990's and since that time its government has been managed by Bureaux concerned with External Affairs, Internal Affairs, and Posts and Telecommunications. Matters of State are dealt with by the Office of the Head of State.
- The institution of the formal Constitution merely regularised the 'pioneering days' of the Principality at a time when the State Corporation was charged with national development; no changes of note in the practical application of Law were made under the new structure.
- Sealand remains a unique country, able to offer much to the international commercial community.
- Easy and economical access to Sealand from Europe and Scandanavia is available, since the established ferry routes that ply to and from the United Kingdom intersect its territorial waters as they pass some three miles from the island, carrying freight and thousands of passengers daily.
Bureau for External Affairs
Sealand Post Bag
FELIXSTOWE IP11 9SZ